Do you dig the homemade collage? It’s the first of a new monthly series I will be doing here on La Mama Hada. I have been collecting magazines for years now – I have boxes upon boxes filled at my current home & back at my mom’s house #thestruggleisreal – and it’s gotten to the point where I really need to start getting rid of them. Making these monthly collages is the perfect way to get rid of ’em without being completely heartbroken; Am I the only who has issues with trashin’ fashion magazines? There’s so much life in these magazines, which is why they are the perfect tool to use in making inspirational and creative collages. I’m totally in love with how my first one came out! While scanning this collage, I realized that I can actually scan larger paper, so my collage game is only going to get more epic from here.
For January’s collage, I simply used a few images from some magazines that I cut out a few months back; It worked out perfectly as a test run for this series & helped me in getting in the flo’ of things.
When I uploaded my last Raiding My Boyfriend’s Closet video, I got a comment from my home girl Noralee saying that she would love to see both Darien & I style the same pieces, using split screen editing to get a side-by-side comparison of our outfits. I loved this idea so much that I immediately told Darien & asked him if he was down to film it – and of course he said yes! Men’s fashion is a huge inspiration to me, so whenever I can feature him both on my blog & YouTube channel, it always excites me! Would you like to see an outfit blogpost featuring Darien? I’d love to know so I can convince him!
We styled Darien’s:
very worn varsity jacket
his comfortable camouflage sweatpants
his classic flannel
& his long sleeve Stussy Tee.
Check out how my boyfriend and I styled pieces from his closet:
Which outfit[s] did you like best?
What are some of your favorite pieces to steal from your boyfriend’s closet? Brother’s? Dad’s?
Thank you so much for watching, I hope you are having an amazing week!
I hope you had an amazing weekend! Did you get hit by blizzard Jonas? We did – Brooklyn got hit with over 2 feet of snow! It was insane, but awesome – expect a mini vlog/open journal on the blizzard, Darien and I ended up exploring Brooklyn after the storm calmed.
In mid-January, I came across the Instagram page The Bald Movement. I was immediately intrigued by it because as a newbie in the bald community, I couldn’t have thought of better inspiration to pop up on my feed. An event that they were hosting, a Vision Board Party, was their latest upload and I was stoked to see that it was being held right here in Brooklyn. I was a bit anxious about attending the event alone so I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to go, but either way, I took a screenshot of the flyer and put down my phone. About a week later, while browsing Event Brite, I came across the same event, and took that as my sign to go. I’m really happy I decided to go because my life has completely changed since then!
We spent the evening sharing our stories while creating vision boards inspired by our aspirations for 2016. It was an experience that has forever changed me in really understanding the meaning of self love & accepting your inner beauty. All of these bald women stood tall and confident in their skin, and it was an aura I am blessed to have found myself in. By the end of the night, everyone was all smiles and laughs. As a thank you, the creator of The Bald Movement, Nell Coleman, gave everyone a pink ‘Baldie’ beanie. Pink is normally a color I never wear, but I Immediately thought of it as the perfect accessory to add a spunky ‘pop-of-color’ to almost any basic outfit. I was ecstatic to play around with it!
Coleman told us what Baldie really stood for – it’s the motivation that drives the entire Bald Movement:
It’s an incredible message and the reason why I’m a proud supporter of The Bald Movement. The mission that Coleman sets off is: “To unite, support, and empower one another to embrace the essence of being BALD” no matter how or why we are bald. Coleman is doing amazing things with this movement & I am excited to grow along side it!
As a thank you for the beanie, I decided to style an outfit post around it. I asked one of my closest college friends, Javarr, to join me in this shoot because 1. I haven’t seen him in forever & thought it’d be fun to do a little shoot with him. 2. I love his style, and 3. His apartment has the perfect ‘Brooklyn’ feel. Being a Brooklyn Baby, adding urban elements to my shoots is extremely important. Kudos to my photographer and BFF, Oscar, for always knowing my vision.
An all-black ensemble was the first outfit combo that popped into my head when I first received the beanie. I love how this over-sized thrifted men’s top fits me like a dress; I’ve been really into this look – it has this super chill, 90s urban vibe. I decided to rock my black ankle booties with this outfit because they are literally my go-to’s and for a touch of fierce, I wore my large hoop earrings and a bold, bright pink lip to match the hat. I feel a lot more confident & am a lot more in touch with my femininity, since being bald. I love how having no hair allowed me to really be comfortable in my skin – I’m stoked to grow & really encourage the Baldand beautiful movement.
I hope you enjoyed the photos & have checked out & followed The Bald Movement. Sending my love your way!
*I know it’s been a while since I’ve last posted anything, but I do have honest reasons for my absence. I mentioned this leave of absence in my last video, Break From YouTube?, but didn’t think to mention it on my blog. Since this post isn’t a life update, I will address my leave of absence at the end.*
Dear 2016, you are MY year.
Though there are people who think setting goals in the beginning of the year is a bit cliche – let’s be real, they aren’t wrong about that, it is a cliche – they forget to realize that setting goals is the first step to getting anything accomplished. That’s why having New Years Resolution’s is important: we’re officially standing on a clean slate and can build anything we want on top of it.
This year, I am setting goals that will help me grow and prosper in every aspect of my life; it’s basically what I wanted & accomplished in 2015, but this year, I plan to continuously grow in areas I never thought I’d find myself. Here are a few specific things I will accomplish in 2016:
1. Work-out more/Start a toning work-out routine. I know this is another cliche, but since having my daughter, back in August of 2014, I’ve managed to loose most of my baby weight. I’m definitely not as small as I was pre-pregnancy, but I am completely in love with how womanly I feel in my current body. My goal is to find a routine that will focus more on toning instead of weight loss.
2. Drink more water. Drinking water is a necessity for the body, you can never drink to much of it. You actually can, but hydration is the key to success. #djkhaledinspo
3. Meditate more. By the end of 2016, I would like to have a daily mediation routine. I was introduced to the world of mediation in early 2015, but I started committing towards the end of the year. As of late, I have been doing it more frequently and I have noticed an immediate difference in my overall well being. I want to continue to give me this time to balance out all of my life stresses.
4. Work on time management. I’m no expert when it comes to keeping my life organized, but in 2015, I was also introduced to the power of making lists, setting goals, & planning my life; & I have officially become addicted! I want to work harder on staying focused on what’s really important in accomplishing any goals or tasks I have set for myself, it being a blog post, play date, or homework assignment.
5. Read more. I love writing, it’s why I’ve taken blogging up as a side hobby. The best way to keep my writing up to par, besides writing more, is to read more. I also enjoy diving into different worlds when I need an escape from my reality. I want to read a few books this year, no specific amount.
6. Write more. As I said in the previous listing, writing frequently helps a ton if you’re a blogger. It’ll also be beneficial for me since I am still a college student. I want to write as often as I can, it being ideas, thoughts, free-writes or even journal entries.
7. Pick up my Uke and Guitar more. I love both instruments and can play a few chords on ’em, but I really want to be able to write my own music and get lost in that world. Hopefully with bettering my time management, I might be able to learn a thing or two this year.
8. Monthly mood boards. I created a mood board at a recent event I went to, and had so much fun in doing so. Monthly mood boards came into my life during a free blogging class I took last June. SheisMelrose, who is a fellow fashion blogger, taught the class and talked about it’s benefits. With the amount of magazines I have pilled-up under my bed – and in my moms house – mood boards are the perfect creative outlet to put those magazines to good use. I plan on sharing my mood boards monthly on my blog, along side monthly wishlists.
9. DIY more. In 2015, I had a decent amount of DIY projects I wanted to get my hands on, but never got around to doing. I have a bin in my back studio filled with clothes that need bleaching, distressing, patch-work and simple stitching. I hope, again, with my improvements on time management, I can get a few projects done this year – expect those to be shared both on my blog & YouTube!
10. Thrift more. Fashion is my biggest passion, and nothing makes me happier than buying amazing pieces for super cheap. Thrifting really helps me in finding my individual style because I can buy pieces that no one else has; it’s perfect. I do plan on picking up a few quality pieces from name brand stores, but for the majority of my shopping trips this year, I want to buy used clothing. Not only is it budget friendly, but it’s also good for the environment. That’s what I call a win-win!
11. Expand DeadGypsy & Co & launch an official site. If you did not know, I am also a jewelry designer. My shop, DeadGypsy & Co., is currently on Etsy and I have plans to legitimize my shop by launching an official site which I’m stoked to announce is currently in the works. As far as goodies go, I plan on expanding my inventory with tie-dyed tote bags [which I will be tie-dying myself], handmade candles and re-introduce my handmade soaps.
12. Start brainstorming & planning future projects. I have a few other side projects I’d like to plan out further this year – those plans include creating a zine [I will be selling my zines on the DeadGypsy site], write, act & directed a web series & starting a podcast, where I will be interviewing artists from all over. I have plans, y’all.
13. Be more positive. This has been on my New Year’s Resolutions list for the past few years, and thankfully, every year I find that I am a lot more positive and content with myself than I was the year before. Loving myself has allowed me to love those nearest and dearest to me in ways I never thought possible, and I am blessed to have been able to find a decent amount of self-love last year. In 2016, I want to continue deepening my connection with my inner self to really share my love with others – it’s amazing what loving yourself can accomplish.
Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to read my list of goals for this coming year. I hope January has been treating you well & that the rest of 2016 brings you nothing but experiences, love and positivity. What are some of your goals for 2016? Please leave them in the comments below, I’d love to know!
**Explanation for my absence:
If you are subscribed to my YouTube channel, you would have saw that my last video was all about me taking a break from YouTube & there were a few reasons as to why:
I wanted to really enjoy my winter break with my family with no worries about posting on my blog or on YouTube.
Being a full time student, I also lost a bit of time with my daughter the later half of 2015 so I wanted to give her a few weeks of my undivided attention.
Plus, always having my blog & YouTube on my mind, I just mentally and physically needed the break. Blogging & YouTube does take a lot of energy from me and I wanted to really relax during this break. I needed it to really enjoy my present life.
Another reason for my absence is that I wanted to spend more quality time with myself – shaving bald is definitely a drastic change and I’m still trying to properly adjust to it. Overall, I am beyond happy that I shaved, but I still do get a bit nervous removing my beanie in public.
My final reason for taking this break is because, as much as I hate to admit it, I failed Geology, again. At times I noticed that I would put a bit more energy into my blog and YouTube over school, which is a complete no-no. I took these past few weeks to pre-filmed, pre-edited and pre-planned videos and posts for this coming semester. I cannot afford to fail classes, but I still want to be consistent with my content. I have faith that this break was exactly what I needed to balance my blog/YT, school and my home life.
To be honest, I loved this break so much that I think I might make January my designated ‘vacation’ month from my Internet life. It’s refreshing to spend time off of the web, and find inspiration in other places while experiencing different things. I feel like I am recharged and ready to take the rest of the year by storm! [There is a chance I might take a few weeks off in the summer to prep for my fall semester, but that’s still up in the air.] I hope this explains my absence better, and gives y’all a better understanding of where I am coming from. I got mad love for you, and cannot wait to grow together this coming year!
Don’t forget to either follow or leave you e-mail to be notified whenever I upload a new blog post. Again, thank you so much for stopping by!