“I am my own muse. I am the subject I know best. The subject I want to better.”
― Frida Kahlo
The universe has a weird way of working: I am a believer that the timing of things are all due to the ‘most high’ (whatever or whoever you associate that with) and in a way, are pre-planned. The Universe already has the ending result staged for you – it all depends on your actions and whether or not you accept the opportunities & challenges that come your way. Patience holds a huge part in finding the route to your successes – and moving to Florida has really instilled that in me.
Moving from the heart of the Big Apple to suburban FL has shown me a different side to life – the main lesson has been putting more energy and time into my foundation. Being the mama, I have to really nurture and love my family whenever it’s needed and that means sometimes putting side projects to a pause. I’m learning to embrace the pause while still finding the motivation to continue making the time.
Through local connections I’ve made, I was introduced to a fellow Latina, Yanitza Ninett, who also recently moved to Florida from Puerto Rico and the timing couldn’t have been more perfect. It was a real pleasure working with someone who’s vision perfectly aligns with your own. It was real inspiration – and it happened at a time when my inspiration hasn’t been fully there. This was something I needed and I’m beyond excited to work with her again.
I’ve been searching for my motivation and doing this shoot gave me exactly that.
Be sure to check out Yanitza’s IG page – she has real drive when it comes to photography! Her work is amazing – she specializes in portrait photography, but has experience in weddings, family sessions/maternity and is now branching out into commercial.
Please let me know which shot is your favorite!
Thank you for stopping by. Sending my love, forever & always:
Those low points in life – they’re forever causing stress, heartache, maybe even slight depression. And no matter how hard you try to overcome your obstacle, you find yourself worse than before.
You’re allowed to feel down. Allowed to feel like there’s no hope. You should always permit yourself the time to feel. Even when the feelings aren’t great. You’re human, and you’re meant to handle rough roads. How else are you suppose to grow? Get stronger? Find YOU?
Give yourself the green-light to get lost for a bit. Once you find the path in that dark, dim world that is your thoughts, the directions to yourself will follow.
Necklace: Dead Gypsy & Co.
Denim: American Apparel
“Sometimes on the way to a dream, you get lost and find a better one.”
I hope you had a great weekend bringing in the New Year. I am super stoked to see what this year has in store for me – I already have great feelings about what’s to come!
Thinking back to this time last year, I was still working on getting comfortable being a bald woman. I had shaved December 28th, 2015, with the purpose of going into 2016 with a much needed drastic change. I was diagnosed with Androgenic Alopecia when I was 18 and wanted to shave bald since then, but was scared to commit. I got over the fear and am so blessed I decided to go for the plunge!
Here are a few benefits I have gained since shaving bald and living life as a proud baldie:
Have you every thought about shaving bald or have shaved bald before? If so, what were some of the benefits you’ve gained? I would love to hear them!
Thank you so much for watching & stopping by! I’ll catch you guys on my next post.
It’s actual birthday is on Wednesday, but since I already have a post schedule for then, today is just gon’ have to do!
To celebrate, I decided to dedicate this post to some of my favorite shots from this past year. I have experienced so much growth on so many different aspects of my life since starting my blog – I’m super excited to see where this next year will take me.
On the 28th of this month, I officially hit my 5th month anniversary of being a Baldie. I won’t ever get over how fast time flies – as I’m getting older, I feel like my days are getting shorter and shorter. Am I the only one?
To celebrate, I decided to dedicate a post completely to my bald head. I’m here today to prove that being bald is beautiful and being CONFIDENT as a Baldie is totally possible. The past 5 months have been filled with constant life changes, but one life change has proven to be the best one yet – embracing the real me.
I want to say thank you if you’ve been following my story and I for some time. Sharing my alopecia experience with the Internet has literally changed my life in ways I never thought possible. I really cannot thank YOU enough for joining me in this life journey.
Thank you to everyone who has personally contacted me, too, it being via e-mail, direct message on IG, or a regular ‘ol comment on my Youtube Channel or here on my blog. The love & support pushes me to continue sharing my story.
Be the change you wish to see in the world. I can never stress that enough.
January literally came and went in the blink of an eye. It always amazes me how fast time flies when you’re older – I was always in such a rush to grow up as a kid that I never realized how important it really is to enjoy the present. It’s why I took January off from both my blog & YouTube channel. I spent the past month giving focus to the foundation of my life, making sure things are running smoothly. I gave myself time to embrace my new look and find my inner beauty, while also giving my daughter and boyfriend my undivided attention. The break also gave me time to find new loves – and I wanted to share them with y’all! Here are the things I have been loving in the month of January:
The main thing I’ve been loving this past month is my new hairless doo. I shaved bald on Dec 28th, due to my alopecia, and I swear, it was the best decision of my life. I feel like me, and it feels amazing. I cannot wait to create new outfits that compliment this hair style for the Spring & Summer – it’s going to be so lit. For now, I’m going to stay with a buzz cut, but when the warmer weather hits, I definitely plan on shaving bald again. Because yes, bald is beautiful.
As far as make-up goes, the only product I have been loving this past month is Colour Pop’s Lippie Stix & Lippie Pencil in the color Grunge. It’s the perfect shade of brown, which is super trendy right now. Being priced at only $5, having amazing staying power and being awesomely pigmented, what more can you ask for in a lippie?
I have been SO obsessed with this faux-fur coat. I picked it up during my last thrift trip, which you can watch here, and was a bit nervous about it because it’s totally not my style. Lately, I’ve been forcing myself to play around with it more – and it’s been really fun incorporating this piece into my wardrobe. My favorite thing about this coat is definitely the fact that I don’t need to layer heavily underneath it – I’m guaranteed warmth.
For keeping my head and neck warm, I have been loving this scarf and faux-fur hat combo. I always get compliments when I wear this hat, and it’s a serious confidence booster – I always feel fierce when I rock it. The scarf doesn’t have a loud print, which makes it my perfect everyday scarf. Surprisingly, it matches with everything.
Hoop earrings are an accessory I would have never worn with hair. Earrings in general were something I never saw myself wearing pre-head shave. I’ve been feeling a lot more confident bald, so rocking these statements earrings has been so much fun as of late! They make any outfit sassier and with my bald head, it immediately screams badass. I’m excited to expand my earring collection these coming months.
I released my Dead Gypsy & Co Holiday Collection on my etsy shop about a month ago and have been rocking this ‘Her’ bracelet like crazy! I love how neutral the colors are, it literally matches with everything.
I love planning. I love planners. And I love planner stickers. Staying organized and keeping track of my daily to-do’s is something I commit a lot of my time to. To make planning my days a lot more fun & inspiring, I printed out these planner stickers on sticker paper. I always look forward to planning my day.
I really enjoy meditating, and I have been trying my hardest to make meditation a daily routine for me. I’m still new to the community, so guided meditation’s does wonders for me! I have been obsessed with The Honest Guys’ youtube channel – I can always find a guided meditation that fits my current feelings and mood. Here is a quick 3 minute guide they recently uploaded; sit back or lay down, close your eyes, pop in your headphones and breath:
Since I was on a break from school last month, I had time to sit back & binge watch some netflix. I started and finished the show Narcos, which is a Netflix original and yes, I definitely do recommend. To me, it’s a combination of Dexter & Breaking Bad, which are two of my all time favorite shows. Check it out for yourself, here’s a little trailer:
Last, but certainly not least, music.
I have been obsessed, and I mean obsessed, with both Tommy Genesis & ABRA. Both are under Father’s umbrella at Awful Records and I have seriously been playing their albums on repeat.
ABRA: Her sound is super trippy, and the imagery she uses in her music videos are simply mesmerizing. I like to think of ABRA as the HipHop/R&B version of Grimes, which literally makes ABRA my #wcwevery week.
Tommy Genesis: Tommy is the newest member of Awful Records, which is why shes dubbed baby awful. She is definitely an alternative rapper – I can see hints of MIA in her sound, which also makes Tommy Genesis my #wcwevery week.
Confession: I’ve made both of ’em #wcw’s on my Instagram. On the same day. Because I am that obsessed.
What were some of your favorites last month?
Thank you so much for stopping by; sending you all of my love!
I hope you had an amazing weekend! Did you get hit by blizzard Jonas? We did – Brooklyn got hit with over 2 feet of snow! It was insane, but awesome – expect a mini vlog/open journal on the blizzard, Darien and I ended up exploring Brooklyn after the storm calmed.
In mid-January, I came across the Instagram page The Bald Movement. I was immediately intrigued by it because as a newbie in the bald community, I couldn’t have thought of better inspiration to pop up on my feed. An event that they were hosting, a Vision Board Party, was their latest upload and I was stoked to see that it was being held right here in Brooklyn. I was a bit anxious about attending the event alone so I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to go, but either way, I took a screenshot of the flyer and put down my phone. About a week later, while browsing Event Brite, I came across the same event, and took that as my sign to go. I’m really happy I decided to go because my life has completely changed since then!
We spent the evening sharing our stories while creating vision boards inspired by our aspirations for 2016. It was an experience that has forever changed me in really understanding the meaning of self love & accepting your inner beauty. All of these bald women stood tall and confident in their skin, and it was an aura I am blessed to have found myself in. By the end of the night, everyone was all smiles and laughs. As a thank you, the creator of The Bald Movement, Nell Coleman, gave everyone a pink ‘Baldie’ beanie. Pink is normally a color I never wear, but I Immediately thought of it as the perfect accessory to add a spunky ‘pop-of-color’ to almost any basic outfit. I was ecstatic to play around with it!
Coleman told us what Baldie really stood for – it’s the motivation that drives the entire Bald Movement:
It’s an incredible message and the reason why I’m a proud supporter of The Bald Movement. The mission that Coleman sets off is: “To unite, support, and empower one another to embrace the essence of being BALD” no matter how or why we are bald. Coleman is doing amazing things with this movement & I am excited to grow along side it!
As a thank you for the beanie, I decided to style an outfit post around it. I asked one of my closest college friends, Javarr, to join me in this shoot because 1. I haven’t seen him in forever & thought it’d be fun to do a little shoot with him. 2. I love his style, and 3. His apartment has the perfect ‘Brooklyn’ feel. Being a Brooklyn Baby, adding urban elements to my shoots is extremely important. Kudos to my photographer and BFF, Oscar, for always knowing my vision.
An all-black ensemble was the first outfit combo that popped into my head when I first received the beanie. I love how this over-sized thrifted men’s top fits me like a dress; I’ve been really into this look – it has this super chill, 90s urban vibe. I decided to rock my black ankle booties with this outfit because they are literally my go-to’s and for a touch of fierce, I wore my large hoop earrings and a bold, bright pink lip to match the hat. I feel a lot more confident & am a lot more in touch with my femininity, since being bald. I love how having no hair allowed me to really be comfortable in my skin – I’m stoked to grow & really encourage the Baldand beautiful movement.
I hope you enjoyed the photos & have checked out & followed The Bald Movement. Sending my love your way!
*I know it’s been a while since I’ve last posted anything, but I do have honest reasons for my absence. I mentioned this leave of absence in my last video, Break From YouTube?, but didn’t think to mention it on my blog. Since this post isn’t a life update, I will address my leave of absence at the end.*
Dear 2016, you are MY year.
Though there are people who think setting goals in the beginning of the year is a bit cliche – let’s be real, they aren’t wrong about that, it is a cliche – they forget to realize that setting goals is the first step to getting anything accomplished. That’s why having New Years Resolution’s is important: we’re officially standing on a clean slate and can build anything we want on top of it.
This year, I am setting goals that will help me grow and prosper in every aspect of my life; it’s basically what I wanted & accomplished in 2015, but this year, I plan to continuously grow in areas I never thought I’d find myself. Here are a few specific things I will accomplish in 2016:
1. Work-out more/Start a toning work-out routine. I know this is another cliche, but since having my daughter, back in August of 2014, I’ve managed to loose most of my baby weight. I’m definitely not as small as I was pre-pregnancy, but I am completely in love with how womanly I feel in my current body. My goal is to find a routine that will focus more on toning instead of weight loss.
2. Drink more water. Drinking water is a necessity for the body, you can never drink to much of it. You actually can, but hydration is the key to success. #djkhaledinspo
3. Meditate more. By the end of 2016, I would like to have a daily mediation routine. I was introduced to the world of mediation in early 2015, but I started committing towards the end of the year. As of late, I have been doing it more frequently and I have noticed an immediate difference in my overall well being. I want to continue to give me this time to balance out all of my life stresses.
4. Work on time management. I’m no expert when it comes to keeping my life organized, but in 2015, I was also introduced to the power of making lists, setting goals, & planning my life; & I have officially become addicted! I want to work harder on staying focused on what’s really important in accomplishing any goals or tasks I have set for myself, it being a blog post, play date, or homework assignment.
5. Read more. I love writing, it’s why I’ve taken blogging up as a side hobby. The best way to keep my writing up to par, besides writing more, is to read more. I also enjoy diving into different worlds when I need an escape from my reality. I want to read a few books this year, no specific amount.
6. Write more. As I said in the previous listing, writing frequently helps a ton if you’re a blogger. It’ll also be beneficial for me since I am still a college student. I want to write as often as I can, it being ideas, thoughts, free-writes or even journal entries.
7. Pick up my Uke and Guitar more. I love both instruments and can play a few chords on ’em, but I really want to be able to write my own music and get lost in that world. Hopefully with bettering my time management, I might be able to learn a thing or two this year.
8. Monthly mood boards. I created a mood board at a recent event I went to, and had so much fun in doing so. Monthly mood boards came into my life during a free blogging class I took last June. SheisMelrose, who is a fellow fashion blogger, taught the class and talked about it’s benefits. With the amount of magazines I have pilled-up under my bed – and in my moms house – mood boards are the perfect creative outlet to put those magazines to good use. I plan on sharing my mood boards monthly on my blog, along side monthly wishlists.
9. DIY more. In 2015, I had a decent amount of DIY projects I wanted to get my hands on, but never got around to doing. I have a bin in my back studio filled with clothes that need bleaching, distressing, patch-work and simple stitching. I hope, again, with my improvements on time management, I can get a few projects done this year – expect those to be shared both on my blog & YouTube!
10. Thrift more. Fashion is my biggest passion, and nothing makes me happier than buying amazing pieces for super cheap. Thrifting really helps me in finding my individual style because I can buy pieces that no one else has; it’s perfect. I do plan on picking up a few quality pieces from name brand stores, but for the majority of my shopping trips this year, I want to buy used clothing. Not only is it budget friendly, but it’s also good for the environment. That’s what I call a win-win!
11. Expand DeadGypsy & Co & launch an official site. If you did not know, I am also a jewelry designer. My shop, DeadGypsy & Co., is currently on Etsy and I have plans to legitimize my shop by launching an official site which I’m stoked to announce is currently in the works. As far as goodies go, I plan on expanding my inventory with tie-dyed tote bags [which I will be tie-dying myself], handmade candles and re-introduce my handmade soaps.
12. Start brainstorming & planning future projects. I have a few other side projects I’d like to plan out further this year – those plans include creating a zine [I will be selling my zines on the DeadGypsy site], write, act & directed a web series & starting a podcast, where I will be interviewing artists from all over. I have plans, y’all.
13. Be more positive. This has been on my New Year’s Resolutions list for the past few years, and thankfully, every year I find that I am a lot more positive and content with myself than I was the year before. Loving myself has allowed me to love those nearest and dearest to me in ways I never thought possible, and I am blessed to have been able to find a decent amount of self-love last year. In 2016, I want to continue deepening my connection with my inner self to really share my love with others – it’s amazing what loving yourself can accomplish.
Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to read my list of goals for this coming year. I hope January has been treating you well & that the rest of 2016 brings you nothing but experiences, love and positivity. What are some of your goals for 2016? Please leave them in the comments below, I’d love to know!
**Explanation for my absence:
If you are subscribed to my YouTube channel, you would have saw that my last video was all about me taking a break from YouTube & there were a few reasons as to why:
I wanted to really enjoy my winter break with my family with no worries about posting on my blog or on YouTube.
Being a full time student, I also lost a bit of time with my daughter the later half of 2015 so I wanted to give her a few weeks of my undivided attention.
Plus, always having my blog & YouTube on my mind, I just mentally and physically needed the break. Blogging & YouTube does take a lot of energy from me and I wanted to really relax during this break. I needed it to really enjoy my present life.
Another reason for my absence is that I wanted to spend more quality time with myself – shaving bald is definitely a drastic change and I’m still trying to properly adjust to it. Overall, I am beyond happy that I shaved, but I still do get a bit nervous removing my beanie in public.
My final reason for taking this break is because, as much as I hate to admit it, I failed Geology, again. At times I noticed that I would put a bit more energy into my blog and YouTube over school, which is a complete no-no. I took these past few weeks to pre-filmed, pre-edited and pre-planned videos and posts for this coming semester. I cannot afford to fail classes, but I still want to be consistent with my content. I have faith that this break was exactly what I needed to balance my blog/YT, school and my home life.
To be honest, I loved this break so much that I think I might make January my designated ‘vacation’ month from my Internet life. It’s refreshing to spend time off of the web, and find inspiration in other places while experiencing different things. I feel like I am recharged and ready to take the rest of the year by storm! [There is a chance I might take a few weeks off in the summer to prep for my fall semester, but that’s still up in the air.] I hope this explains my absence better, and gives y’all a better understanding of where I am coming from. I got mad love for you, and cannot wait to grow together this coming year!
Don’t forget to either follow or leave you e-mail to be notified whenever I upload a new blog post. Again, thank you so much for stopping by!
I hope you guys are having an amazing week! This week’s been an adventure for me – I’ve finally committed to shaving bald. I finally did it.
My boyfriend Darien was amazing enough to help me shave, which was definitely an experience on it’s own. That moment your boyfriend helps you shave bald – you don’t hear that one often. I’m seriously lucky to have him as a life partner. He has honestly made accepting and dealing with this no-hair thing so much easier. Buying me tacos for lunch and continuously calling me beautiful; he’s perfect & I feel so damn beautiful.
Without a doubt, I’m still adjusting to being bald, but overall, I feel comfortable having no hair. I feel like I am finally me, and I couldn’t be more happy about that. Self-love is the type of love that is most important. It’s the foundation love that allows for other loves – loving another being – to be possible. I am happy to be one step closer to finding the entirety of my self-love. Embracing myself thus far has done wonders to my confidence and has made my life more amazing. I’m simply excited to see where the next year takes my self-acceptance.
I filmed the process of me shaving bald and posted it up on my channel yesterday. I shaved on Monday, December 30th, and it’s crazy to see how much of my hair has grown since then. I’m now dealing with the issue of figuring out how many days I have to wait between every shave! This is going to be one interesting journey.
Androgenic Alopecia: Shaving Bald | Vlog:
Thank you so much for stopping by; sending you all of my love!
Today’s video is one that is near & dear to my heart – I just have a weird relationship with my hair.
If you’ve been following me for a bit, you would know that I have a genetic hair loss that causes my hair to thin faster than it’s suppose to for your average gal. By the time I hit my 30’s, there will be a noticeable bald spot on the crown of my head. It’s taken me a while to fully accept and embrace this fate, but I am happy I’ve managed to over come this struggle. I’ve fully embraced the idea of having no hair, so much so that I plan on shaving bald in less than 2 weeks.
I’m beyond scared, but I can’t deny that I’m also beyond excited. Be the change you wish to see in the world – always.
Thank you so much if you have been following me on my hair journey. Your support means the world to me, and has definitely made this process a lot easier to deal with and I couldn’t be happier about that.
I share my hair journey in this video, while also talking about the issues I had with fully embracing my hair as a woman of color. I hope you guys enjoy:
Have you ever had issues with embracing your hair? I’d love to learn about some of your experiences!
P.S. If you’re dealing with finals right now, I’m sending you all of my love; this semester has definitely been kicking me in the butt.